In the framework of archival institutions' public service the Regional Archives Maribor performs the following tasks:
- appraisal of documents created by entities under public law, providing explanations about the duties of entities under public law in relation to documents, professional supervision and training of employees engaged in the handling of documents;
- appraisal of public documents in archival institutions, disposal of unneeded documents and selection of archives in archival institutions during the processing of material;
- acquisition, appraisal and processing of public and private archives, elaborating inventories, guides and other aids for using archives and their publishing, publishing of archival sources;
- maintenance and preservation of archives;
- keeping a register of public and private archives;
- registering archives abroad relating to Slovenia and the Slovenians, reproduction of such archives to supplement their own holdings, compilation of guides and other finding aids to archives;
- registering private archives of legal and natural persons;
- cooperation with owners of private archives, expert advice and supervision;
- making archives available for use, issuing transcripts and/or copies of documents and certificates based on documents;
- fostering cultural values related to the archives;
- carrying out research in the field of archival science, history and other sciences related to archives;
- publishing activities.
The archival public service also includes custody of archives, which used to belong to former national, autonomous, self-government and other authorities and legal persons, which were the responsibility of those archival institutions or their predecessors under the former rules on archives.